1. Government Impersonators
2. Fraudulent Cures or Medical Equipment
3. Work-from-Home Fraud
4. Investment Fraud
Hopefully each of the above categories is self explanatory as these are not new forms of fraud, however some perpetrators have become very good at scamming, and seek opportunities to prey on vulnerable people.
Scams include the following:
- Individuals and businesses selling fake cures for COVID-19 online and engaging in other forms of fraud.
- Phishing emails from entities posing as the World Health Organization or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Malicious websites and apps that appear to share virus-related information to gain and lock access to your devices until payment is received.
- Seeking donations fraudulently for illegitimate or non-existent charitable organizations.