There are three national credit reporting companies keeping records of your credit history. If someone has misused your personal or financial information, call one (1) of the companies and ask for an initial fraud alert be placed on your credit report. The fraud alert is FREE. The credit reporting company will ask you to provide proof of your identity. This you must do. After reporting to the company you choose to call, that company must tell the other companies about your alert.
- CONTACT one (1) credit reporting company.
- Update your files. Order a free credit report. The company you speak with will explain to you how you can do this. They should also explain to you some rights you have.
- Mark you calendar. The fraud alert is good for 90 days. You can renew it.
- Record the dates you made calls or sent letters.
- Keep a copy of ALL letters you send out.