Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Identity Theft: Part 3, Create an Identity Theft Report

This is Part 3 in a short series on Identity Theft

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking, an Identity Theft Report, I thought that's what I just did. Well, there is a little more to it. The report I am referring to here is one that will assist you in dealing with the company that improperly opened an account in your name. This could include any number of credit reporting companies, businesses, and debt collectors.

You should find this report useful when working with companies to get fraudulent information removed from your credit report and prevent the company from initiating or continuing debt collection efforts. It will help you place an extended fraud alert on your credit reports, and assist you in getting information from companies about your improperly opened and improperly used accounts.

So, how do you create this report? :Like most things, the steps are relatively simple, but they will take up some of you time. First, you should submit a report to the Federal Trade Commission. Print a copy of the report for your safe keeping, and it will be referred to as the Identity Theft Affidavit. Secondly, with your Identity Theft Affidavit in hand, contact the police and file out a police report. Again, keep a copy of the police report and report number. These 2 documents make up your Identity Theft Report.

So, how do you get hold of the FTC. My first suggestion is to look online, and see if there is a process for completing these steps on their web site. The internet is rapidly changing, and this seems to be the way of the future.

If looking online does not work, you can call them at

1-866-653-4261 (TTY)

Simply follow the directions of the person on the phone (which will probably be to go to the internet). Submit the information, and save the complaint reference number.

Of course, as always, update your files as to when you filed the complaint, and make sure to keep a copy of everything, including the affidavit.

From time to time you may find you will need to update your file. How do you do this? Well, call the number above. Make sure you have your reference number ready.

OK, so that's the FTC side of this. Now, lets move forward with the filing of the Police Report. Again, you can give them a call and find out if you should go down to the police station, or if they will send an officer to you. When you tell them why you are calling, they will give you the proper steps to take. They will probably want to see a government issued ID with a photo, some form of proof of the theft, a copy of the FTC documents you just completed above, and some proof of your address (like a utility bill).

And of course, UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE your records.

1 comment:

  1. “Congratulations J. Dinkins G. Grange, Esquire ! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.”

    read more